The Fitness Race - How I lost 140 Pounds Eating At McDonald's

...And you can too! In the fall of 2004, I had had enough. I knew I had been morbidly obese for years, but the grim reality of a short lived future slapped me in the face. After years of hearing what the doctors told me about my weight, I actually listened to what he said. He told me I wouldn't live much longer, and when I did go, it would be a "drop dead" event. The following is a short description of my story, and the journey I followed to go from where I was to where I wanted to be.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois (888)467-8593, United States

After struggling with his weight for more than twenty five years, in Nov 2004 Mark McKenna Little made up his mind that being unhealthy was no longer acceptable. Through sensible eating and increased physical activity (absolutely NO drugs or surgery) he lost 140 pounds and now does four triathlons per year. Early in 2007 he challenged a group at his church that if they were serious about losing more than forty pounds each... he would mentor them to make a total body transformation. SO, THE 2007 FITNESS RACE WAS BORN... Mark Little owns an unrelated business, which he operates, but is mentoring 15 individuals to make similar health and fitness transformations in their lives by September 30, 2007. Many of those in this group have well over 40 pounds of excess weight, but have set a goal to get light enough to do the 2007 Accenture Chicago Triathlon with Mark on August 26, 2007. FOLLOW THEIR STORIES BELOW

Monday, May 07, 2007

Just in... I received this progress report by email from one of the fifteen participants in The Fitness Race. I'm looking for a couple of things in these e-mails from each participant:
1. Determination
2. Postitive attitude about future progress

In this e-mail, despite the fact that more than four pounds has been lost in four weeks, from the tone of this, I'm concerned about discouragement in this individual. The emails are in "reverse order" with my response at the top and the first email in the series at the bottom. Read them all & see what you think? Are you worried for this person?

LM,

Let’s focus on the future… you HAVE made progress. Now, how many pounds per week will you need to lose in order to reach your goal by the target date? That’s what I recommend in order to track your progress benchmarked against your goal.

It’s unlikely that weight training is having a significant impact, competition weight lifters feel lucky to gain one pound per month in muscle. So, the best bet is to focus on nutrition and pray for strength to re-examine what your daily calorie target should be & then contemplate if you have the resolve to stay below that number.

Would you like additional mentoring?

I’m here to help you reach your goals for the reasons that are important to you.

Best,

M
-------------------------
From: L M
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 4:38
To: Mark Little

Subject: Progress

Mark,

Thanks, but I don't feel like I'm making great progress. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I thought I would have lost more weight by now. The weights I have been using are adding to my weight, I'm sure. I just need the weight scale to go down so that I can feel like I'm really making a difference!

My benchmarking update is attached.

By the way, I really appreciated the quote you added to your email:
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals"

I really needed to see that today!

Thanks,

LM

----- Original Message ----
From: Mark Little

L M,

You're doing great with your efforts to transform yourself, I am particularly impressed with your commitment to sticking with your goals.

Please send me the progress you've made thus far... benchmarked against your goals (using all the benchmarks you are tracking).

Mark

Mark M. Little
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals

---------------------

It is an important "next step" for the group to create a customized "Plan for discouragement" so they have a step-by-step process to follow for those inevitable times when things aren't going as well as hoped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home