The Fitness Race - How I lost 140 Pounds Eating At McDonald's

...And you can too! In the fall of 2004, I had had enough. I knew I had been morbidly obese for years, but the grim reality of a short lived future slapped me in the face. After years of hearing what the doctors told me about my weight, I actually listened to what he said. He told me I wouldn't live much longer, and when I did go, it would be a "drop dead" event. The following is a short description of my story, and the journey I followed to go from where I was to where I wanted to be.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois (888)467-8593, United States

After struggling with his weight for more than twenty five years, in Nov 2004 Mark McKenna Little made up his mind that being unhealthy was no longer acceptable. Through sensible eating and increased physical activity (absolutely NO drugs or surgery) he lost 140 pounds and now does four triathlons per year. Early in 2007 he challenged a group at his church that if they were serious about losing more than forty pounds each... he would mentor them to make a total body transformation. SO, THE 2007 FITNESS RACE WAS BORN... Mark Little owns an unrelated business, which he operates, but is mentoring 15 individuals to make similar health and fitness transformations in their lives by September 30, 2007. Many of those in this group have well over 40 pounds of excess weight, but have set a goal to get light enough to do the 2007 Accenture Chicago Triathlon with Mark on August 26, 2007. FOLLOW THEIR STORIES BELOW

Sunday, April 01, 2007

It's official, we have fifteen people participating in The Fitness Race.

Just for background, I made an offer to mentor between 10 - 20 people to "take charge" of their health & fitness so long as they agreed to make transformational changes in their life.

My deal to the group:
I'll inspire, create accountability & mentor the group until the end of September to help each person acheive their stated transformational health & fitness goals.

Their deal to the group:
Each member agrees to...
- Set a transformational health & fitness goal
- Do what I say I'm going to do
- Show up on time
- Not give up (under any circumstances) before the end of September
- four hours of physical training per week
- one hour of accountability per week

Here's a progress report I just got from one of our actual participants:

Dear ZC,

Congratulations on setting your key event goals and your commitment to complete your strategies to meet your agreements to yourself this coming week.

Attached are the Excel File / methods I have used to track my progress which we went through this morning. You are welcome to use it or any piece which fits what you want to track. Please let me know if you have any questions. I would also be happy to go through this again with you and help in any way you would like.

I think the keys for you as we talked about this morning are:

Set you exercise goals
Get moving physically on a regular bases
4 to 5 times a week
It should not leave you drained
Get to the point of being winded and back off a bit
Start counting the calories you are eating on a daily basis
Start adjusting the foods you eat to support your goals

I am slowly learning that the basics of fitness are pretty simple. It is all a function of getting our heart rates up on a regular basis and burning more calories that we eat. If we start to do this we will become more healthy. If we can achieve 1000 calorie deficit daily through a combination of exercise and nutrition, we will start to lose 2 lbs per week (3500 calories = 1 lbs). Everything that I read indicates that 1 to 2 lbs a week is a healthy goal because it requires that we change our habits over an extended period of time. In my case, I want to lose 50Lbs and I am targeting 2 lbs per week which means it will take me about 26 weeks to get their.

Take care my friend,

QQ


Very inspiring stuff.

I'll include many of these interactions between the fifteen participants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home